Monday, June 26, 2006

The Belcourt, Bjork, and B-13

This past week I went to see a couple of movies at the Belcourt. For those that don't know the Belcourt is a fantastic nonprofit movie house/theater/music venue in Hillsboro Village. It is one of the few old-time neighborhood theaters left in town (the other, Franklin Cinema in downtown Franklin, is in danger of closing later this year).
On Wednesday night Kate and I saw Prairie Home Companion, which I really enjoyed. On Tuesday afternoon I went alone and saw Department B-13, a French action movie with English subtitles. There's not much to know about the plot, except that about 3 minutes into it fighting, chases, and explosions ensue and don't really let up until the credits roll. Good movie.
However, before the showing of B-13, I saw what I think might have been the worst movie preview ever. Not a bad preview in the way you might think a movie looks dumb or uninteresting, but bad in a way that causes physical pain and emotional distress.
This movie is called Drawing Restraint 9. It stars Bjork and Barney (not the purple dinosaur, though it might actually have made it better). Set to a soundtrack that sounds like a sped-up audio recording of a roomful of kittens being tortured, various scenes flash on the screen: Bjork dancing around on a whaling ship, some icebergs, and a few concerned Japanese fishermen. There were other images, but I was trying to staunch the bloodflow from my ears, so I didn't get them all. However, nothing about the plot is really explained.
And though I didn't really want explanation, a part of me was intrigued (or bored) enough to seek out the film's website when I got home. You can visit it here, but it won't explain anything either. It will give pearls of wisdom like: "Production is the anal output of the path." I don't know what that means, but I'm going to try to use that sentence at least once a day.
Finally, I searched out my favorite site, Bjork.com, and came across a plot synopsis. It is several paragraphs long, so I'll only reproduce my favorite:

"In a harrowing liebestod which is the climax and centerpiece of the film, the Guests (Bjork and Barney), locked in an embrace and breathing through blowhole-like orifices in the back of their necks, take out flensing knives and cut away each other's feet and thighs. The remains of their lower bodies are revealed to contain traces of whales' tails at an early stage of development, suggesting rebirth, physical transformation, and the possibility of new forms."
Wow. Watching icebergs and listening to kitty torture I never would have guessed that was how this movie would end. If you want to click on over to Fandango right now and grab some tickets go ahead. Sorry I gave away the climax of the movie.

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Now I'm a little bit sad that I didn't get to see/hear that preview. I was so looking forward to it. Prairie Home Companion was great. Thanks for taking me to the Belcourt too....perhaps I'm a tad bit cooler now? Or, at least, you are for taking me.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Inexpensive hot tub chemicals Free fast ways to lose weight Best+way+to+lose+stomach+fat http://www.merchant-account-9.info/Internationalmerchantaccountinternationalmerchant.html cocktail shemale resistence to weight loss detoxication system for weight loss

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Cumming lesbian Nexium seizures Nu gen hair loss treatment

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home