Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Great Western Roadtrip, Part II


This is Telluride, a ski resort town in southwestern Colorado that is one of my favorite places. Ironic, a little, since I've never snow skied and have only been there in the summer. The picture above is looking down Main Street, which is the only road into town. A mile or so further up the road becomes a 4-wheel drive only trail that snakes up the mountain pass. The night in Telluride was the only period of rainy weather for the trip so the pictures did not turn out that great.

Here we are in Grand Tetons National Park, with, along with nearby Jackson Hole, might be my new favorite. It was nice at the very least to visit with an actual driver's license and with money.


I came across this guy walking down the highway in the middle of the park. I put my car in reverse and got along side of him to take his picture. He started walking faster. I again put my car in reverse to pull along side, we he then made a somewhat threatening noise and momentarily stood on his hind legs. Not knowing whether or not my rental had bear insurance, I drove on.

The Grand Tetons once again, this time near sunset.


Since the direct road from the Tetons to Yellowstone was still closed for the winter, I had to detour around through eastern Idaho. There I came across this, Upper Mesa Falls.


Yellowstone was overrun with buffalo and elk.


My favorite part of Yellowstone: The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone river. This is a picture of the lower falls, as is the picture below, which was taken further down the canyon.


Finally, a picture of Old Faithful. Unfortunately, by the time I got around to see it the sun was heading down. If I dug through my closet I probably could find some better pictures from my first, ill-fated trip. I did plan on getting up early to drive by and take a few more pictures on my way back to Salt Lake. However, getting up early voluntarily rarely, if ever, works for me.