Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Randomosity Returns

The Little Willies = Norah Jones' new country band = Happiness and Joy

********

It has been a little over a week since the Academy Awards, in which Crash upset Brokeback Mountain for best picture. I was fine with the upset, since I never jumped on the Brokeback Bandwagon. Besides the moral issues, the gay cowboy film (actually they were sheepherders, but I guess that's a tougher pitch) was just a bit overpraised. However, I didn't think Crash deserved best picture either. That film was a bit over the top and melodramatic. The characters in that movie weren't bigots, they were Bigots, and every Stereotype imaginable made its appearance at one point or another. A little subtlety would have served that film well.
Being a bit of a movie geek, I try to see all the best picture nominees so I can have my own little awards ceremony. Given the five best picture nominees, I would have ranked them this way, from best film to worst: Munich, Capote, Brokeback, Crash, Good Night Good Luck.

********


I took this picture to commemorate winter 2006, which started one weekend in February and lasted about 48 hours. It is a picture of the snow on my balcony. There was about an inch and a half that fell. As usual you would have thought it was fire and brimstone falling from the sky the way this city freaks out over a little snow. Nothing to worry about, however, since a couple of days later it was back to the 60s, and winter became a distant memory. Go global warming!!!

********


One recent post-call-day-hike was to this lovely spot, Ozone Falls. It is off of interstate 40. I thought that it was just past Cookeville, but it is actually just past Crossville, about thirty miles further up the Cumberland Plateau. It really isn't much of a hike, since the top of the falls is only a couple of hundred feet from the parking lot. Also, the trail to the bottom of the gorge is only about a half mile. However, that trail is horribly maintained and requires some climbing down boulders. It is a pretty little waterfall, though, falling about 110 feet into the gorge. You can also walk behind the falls.

********

Last Sunday after church we went to Cracker Barrel to eat breakfast. We all took a turn playing the classic Cracker Barrel peg game, where you jump pegs in the hope of ending up with just one. I left two, making me "pretty durn smart". All of my dining companions left 4 or more, making them all "eg-no-ra-mooses". I basked in my superior intellect. It has been the high point of my week.
It has been a slow week.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does sound slow. Thanks for sharing the randomosity. Really great about the two pegs man. That's something.

Really something.

I mean, two pegs. Two pegs.

You are purty darn smart.

Adam

8:30 PM  
Blogger LB said...

If I hadn't been concentrating so hard on the biscuits, I'm sure I would have done better. Dern biscuits!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Please. You weren't concentrating on biscuits.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home