Saturday, January 14, 2006

2005

If you had told me a year ago that 2005 was going to be one of my finest years I probably would have belittled you. 2005 did not start out well, and it wasn't until a much-needed attitude adjustment a couple of months in that things started to pick up, and for some reason just got better and better. When I say 2005 was a fine year, I'm speaking only for my little world. I realize that on the national and global scale many sucky and horrible events occurred. But, within my own little bubble, things were quite fine. Here a short list of reasons why:

1. Katie Kate infiltrated our little circle of friends several months ago, and we got to be good friends over the summer. However, it wasn't until September 11, at a Lyle Lovett concert, that we actually got to spend time alone together. Since I move at the speed of evolution when it comes to dating, our official first date wasn't until October 1 (I really don't want to celebrate anything on 9/11), and things have been fantastic since. You could break out some pancakes and I could get really syrupy here with a long list of things I love about her, but I'll just say that when I'm with her life is better than it is when she isn't around.

2. Family and friends Though the fam's 3 to 4 hours away I always look forward to my trips up there, especially to see the kids, who grow impossibly cuter with each visit. I am also amazed with the circle of friends that I have, one that reaches literally from coast to coast. Having self-diagnosed borderline anti-social disorder (I enjoy solo roadtrips to Colorado and other far-off places), the fact that I have many wonderful close friends is a constant source of astonishment and delight.

3. Travelmania The few loyal readers of this blog would know that one of the things I enjoy most is to travel. I've always been a bit extreme on this front but last year saw trips to Guatemala, Italy, Colorado, Texas, New York City, New England, and California. Much closer to home I discovered beautiful places like Savage Gulf, Foster Falls, and the Virgin Gulf Wilderness. A vacation day at home is a vacation day wasted.

4. Home ownership After many many years of throwing money away to somebody else I now throw it away to a bank. However, technically the place is mine. I've been in the new condo for nearly five months now and haven't regretted a day yet. If only we could do something about the crack houses in the next block, but there is something to be said for convenience.

5. Best concert year ever This one is pretty indisputable. I haven't had the opportunity to see so many good live shows in a single year: Patty Griffin, Coldplay, Guster, Lyle Lovett, Dave Matthews Band, Keane, and U2, plus a couple of Bluebirds and Mercy Lounges. Actually, to cheat a bit, 2006 is getting off to a good start too with Patty Griffin and Emmylou Harris at the Ryman, and Bela Fleck and the Flecktones with the Nashville Symphony (thanks, Kate).

6. Star Wars and King Kong Stay with me on this one. The Star Wars series (the three original good ones) were one of the pop culture cornerstones of my childhood, and any chance to revisit a joy of childhood shouldn't be missed. The fact that Revenge of the Sith tied everything into the original series, and that it didn't blow nearly as much as The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones made it even better.
Watching King Kong was a little like seeing the original Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time as a kid. It is rare for a new movie to evoke an almost childlike since of wonder, but this one did, with scenes that were exhilarating (the brontosaurus stampede), hugely creepy (death by meat-slug), and even heartbreaking (the long, silent shot of Kong's fall off the Empire State Building).

So hooray for 2005. May God bless everyone in 2006.

8 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Ok...I'm a little weepy. It's been a great year for me too, and it definitely didn't start out that way. But, since I've joined OC, and broken into your tight little circle, I've been blessed more than I ever thought possible. You are such a joy to me and I thank God for you every day.

11:17 PM  
Blogger CHADDDD said...

Now I need pancakes because you're getting all Aunt Jemima on me.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Um.....I can make microwave pancakes....but that's about it.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, it's getting a little warm on this blog. Think I'll leave you two alone.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Thompson said...

Dude. I was just going to comment on how my brother and I also went to see Bela Fleck and the Flecktones with the symphony and enjoyed it immensely, and now I feel like I'm invading...

(But it was a good show, even though I think I would have liked it even better with just Bela.)

10:35 AM  
Blogger CHADDDD said...

Sorry for all the syrupy sweetness. I already have my next post planned and it is on the opposite, butt-end (literally and figuratively) of the cuddly spectrum.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are happy. Can not wait to meet her. I am jealous thought that we were number 2 (ha). SIS

7:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, barbour, louis vuitton, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, bottes ugg, replica watches, wedding dresses, converse outlet, links of london, supra shoes, marc jacobs, moncler, doudoune canada goose, ugg pas cher, moncler, canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, moncler outlet, swarovski crystal, moncler, hollister, moncler, coach outlet, canada goose, swarovski, canada goose, ugg boots uk, montre pas cher, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, pandora charms, moncler, pandora jewelry, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, lancel, moncler, doke gabbana outlet, juicy couture outlet, karen millen, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, moncler, barbour jackets, toms shoes
ninest123 16.02

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home