Monday, October 10, 2005

Me and Betty Jo

I got to meet Betty Jo several weeks ago while I was on call. Sometime in the past Betty Jo had a bit of an accident. She either fell and hit her head, or she was hit in the head, or something; I never really found out. However, unfortunately for her, she developed what is called a subdural hematoma. This is basically bleeding inside your skull, which builds up pressure in the brain and causes headaches, then seizures, then possibly death.
Fortunately for Betty Jo, she went to a hospital. She then had an operation where a hole was drilled into her skull and then the blood clot was sucked out. Betty Jo recovered nicely, went home, and felt better, at least for a while.
Then the headaches came back. Nothing that Betty Jo did made the headaches any better. I assume that Betty Jo considered going back to the hospital, but never got a chance to ask her. What I do know, however, is that Betty Jo got herself a wonderful idea.
It is here that I must interject a few facts about Betty Jo. Betty Jo drinks a little bit, anywhere from a dozen to two dozen cans of beer a day. She also smokes a bit of pot. Oh yes, she also seems to have a small problem with crack cocaine. Perhaps this combination of recreational drug use affected her decision-making ability. Again, I didn't get a chance to ask.
A day or two before I met her, Betty Jo got to thinking back about the last time she had such awful headaches, and how she had a little operation, and how that cleared those headaches right up. That was when Betty Jo had this wonderful idea.
Betty Jo, apparently, went to the kitchen, grabbed herself a knife (butter? steak?) and preceded to bore into her own head in an attempt to cure herself from the headaches. I guess that it seemed like a good idea at the time. Maybe, when the surgeon was explaining the previous surgery, he made it sound like a simple task. Amazingly, this attempt did not succeed.
That's how I got to spend some time with her. I say I never got the chance to ask her any questions because by the time I saw her she was having seizures from either the alcohol withdrawal, the raging infection in her head (seems as though she didn't disinfect that knife), or from any new bleeding she might have caused. She was very far from coherent. We fixed Betty Jo up the best we could, however neurologically she was in much the same condition than when we found her.
I don't know what became of Betty Jo, or if she even survived. I don't know how anyone could think I'll bore into my skull with this knife! could ever be a good decision, no matter how drunk/stoned/coked-up you might be. I don't know what kind of desperation might lead to the consumption of 24 beers a day, much less the other drugs. I can't begin to imagine what her home life was like.
I'd like to think that if Betty Jo recovered she realized that something had to change. Maybe there was a reawakening. Maybe she recognized she got a second chance and made good on it. I'd also like to think that maybe I could be a bit more compassionate towards people like Betty Jo. Nobody in that room, including me, saw her as much more than an annoyance, an interruption to an afternoon where we could all be doing something better with our time. We did our job well, and we saw her safely through. The compassion wasn't there, though. It wasn't there when I told this story to friends. It wasn't there when I typed the first few paragraphs of this post. It isn't here now, really, except that the more I think about Betty Jo the less funny the story is and the more sad it becomes. I guess she deserved better, after all. She sure didn't give it to herself. I don't guess I gave it to her, either.

6 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

OK...now I feel bad for not being more compassionate when you told me the story. Rather, I was interested and somewhat amused by the fact that someone would drill into their own skull.

I must go repent now and say a little prayer for all the desperate Betty Jo's out there.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Rhiannon McCain said...

We live in a selfish world. A world where people are judged not really by their situation or how they came to that place in their lives, but by how they handle the situation.
We judge appearances. We judge people based on how they look, what they do, how well they hold things together. We look favorably on the family with the 2.5 kids and a dog who live in a big house and drive nice cars, but are secretly teetering on the edge of bankrupcy. Yet we look down upon the family who doesn't always have clean clothes or nice things, but maintains a happy and supportive household for their children.
We help to create these situations and then we judge people when they can't rise above them. What a lonely life it must be to think that you can find happiness or contentment at the bottom of a bottle or end of a line of coke.
I wonder if there was ever a fire in her eyes from a passion that burned within her. When did she give up on her dreams and why? She seems desperate to feel...desperate to have control over something in her life. I think we can all relate to her story it little ways.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to think I was compassionate. I do know someone who is, though. I remember once in Houston...I passed up a man in a Mexican restaurant, who was asking for money. I judged him to be well-off enough to have pretty good clothes, and a large coffee. As I was setting my tray of food down, the young man with me (a student living on mostly borrowed money) slipped away and handed the man a few bills. I will never forget the appreciative look in the begger's eyes. That young student is compassionate...perhaps not as consistent as he migh wish, but he is compassionate.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ninest123 16.02
polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, ugg boots, nike air max, prada handbags, nike air max, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, cheap oakley sunglasses, replica watches, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, louboutin, longchamp, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, nike free, burberry, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet online

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

air force, nike huarache, north face, vanessa bruno, hermes, mulberry, timberland, michael kors, sac longchamp, coach outlet, nike roshe, sac guess, replica handbags, abercrombie and fitch, michael kors, hollister, nike roshe run, nike air max, oakley pas cher, new balance pas cher, coach purses, michael kors, nike blazer, lacoste pas cher, longchamp, lululemon, air jordan pas cher, michael kors, air max, converse pas cher, tn pas cher, louboutin pas cher, true religion jeans, north face, burberry, true religion jeans, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, longchamp pas cher, nike free, nike air max, ralph lauren uk, nike trainers, hollister pas cher, hogan, nike air max, nike free run uk, ray ban uk, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, barbour, louis vuitton, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, bottes ugg, replica watches, wedding dresses, converse outlet, links of london, supra shoes, marc jacobs, moncler, doudoune canada goose, ugg pas cher, moncler, canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, moncler outlet, swarovski crystal, moncler, hollister, moncler, coach outlet, canada goose, swarovski, canada goose, ugg boots uk, montre pas cher, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, pandora charms, moncler, pandora jewelry, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, lancel, moncler, doke gabbana outlet, juicy couture outlet, karen millen, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, moncler, barbour jackets, toms shoes
ninest123 16.02

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home