Sunday, August 14, 2005

Extreme Road Trip

I love to travel. Traveling has always consumed more than its fair share of the budget. One of the primary ways in which I organize my time is around my vacation schedule. Its been a few months since I took a trip (the Italian extravaganza), so I'm very excited about next week when traveling time comes around again.
Around this time next week I'll pack some clothes, take my Ipod, a few books, and my camera, grab the map from the backseat, and drive. I don't have an itinerary. I don't have a schedule. I'll just be gone.
I am adopted. I sometimes joke that I think my biological parents were carnival workers, or hobos, or cross-country truckers or some other nomadic people, because I have a nomadic streak in me that my parents definitely do not have. I have thus far lived in five states. They have always lived in rural yet suprisingly cosmopolitan Sikeston. If instead of sleeping in a filthy railcar hobos went to a nice hotel every night then I definitely could have been a hobo.
I try to take a trip like this at least once a year. Some people are not a big fan of the driving, but I love it. I love to wander. When I head out with a map and nowhere in particular to go it is nothing short of exhilarating. Its an adventure. It is also incredibly relaxing. Like I said earlier, I'll take some books to catch up on my reading. I'll take my Ipod for music. I'll take my camera with some black and white film so I can practice photography.
After a few days the solitude will get boring. However, until it does, there is rarely a time when I'm so content. Its a great way to get away from life's daily stresses and make extended time for meditation, thought, and prayer. And then I'll return, rejuvenated, ready to plan my next vacation.

By the way, I'm very happy to report that this is my official first post from my new place. I'm currently sitting at my computer, which is in the front bedroom/guest bedroom/office. The desk is up against the windows, through which I'm looking out across to Capitol Hill and the Nashville skyline. All in all it was about the most painless move I've yet encountered. And its a very very fine house.

6 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

very fine house it is!
do you take folks on your exhilerating spontaneous adventures?!? sounds like fun! enjoy!

12:35 PM  
Blogger CHADDDD said...

No, there isn't enough room for all of dad's sweater vests in my trunk. All witty banter must occur by cellphone.

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU ARE NOT ADOPTED! GET YOUR MOTHER ON THE PHONE. :-)
I can't wait to see your new digs in October.
Maria

7:46 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Is it a "very very very fine house with two cats in the yard"? (CSN in case anyone didn't catch that....and for those who didn't catch CSN that's Crosby, Stills and Nash.)

Glad you're likin' your new place...and the move was easy.

So will you be driving willy nilly across the US with no final destination in mind, or are you going to wander your way to a specific city.

Yeah for B&W photography!

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ninest123 16.02
polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, ugg boots, nike air max, prada handbags, nike air max, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, cheap oakley sunglasses, replica watches, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, louboutin, longchamp, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, nike free, burberry, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet online

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

air force, nike huarache, north face, vanessa bruno, hermes, mulberry, timberland, michael kors, sac longchamp, coach outlet, nike roshe, sac guess, replica handbags, abercrombie and fitch, michael kors, hollister, nike roshe run, nike air max, oakley pas cher, new balance pas cher, coach purses, michael kors, nike blazer, lacoste pas cher, longchamp, lululemon, air jordan pas cher, michael kors, air max, converse pas cher, tn pas cher, louboutin pas cher, true religion jeans, north face, burberry, true religion jeans, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, longchamp pas cher, nike free, nike air max, ralph lauren uk, nike trainers, hollister pas cher, hogan, nike air max, nike free run uk, ray ban uk, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home