Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The supercell thunderstorm started in northern Mississippi, and then marched in a straight line, pretty much from southwest to northeast. Amazingly, it held together for over 300 miles, from northern Mississippi, through Tennessee, across Nashville, and finally into southern Kentucky, dropping tornadoes off and on along the way. Though there was alot of damage southwest of Nashville, and massive damage (and several fatalities) northeast of town, for whatever reason the tornadoes stayed in the clouds as the storm passed over downtown.
Of course, being the idiot that I am, I'm outside watching the storm approach while listening to the newscast through the open front door. This is a really crappy picture that I took from the front porch of my house as the storm passed by. On the enlarged view, if you look closely (and use your imagination a bit), you can see the cloud coming down in a v-shape (just behind and to the left of the smokestack), which I took to be the wall cloud coming across downtown. Fortunately for myself and the others living in the city, not to mention the 14,000 people downtown in the arena for the Preds game, the fact that the tornadoes stayed aloft are a huge blessing. For those outside of town who have lost family (at last count, 31 dead in Tennessee alone) and property, God bless and you're in my prayers.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I almost called you to ask if you were standing out on your balcony...and to tell you not to.

10:32 AM  
Blogger CHADDDD said...

As exciting as this was, it wasn't as thrilling as watching the tree blow over from the front porch at the last house.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I was too busy taking cover in my basement to watch. Based on the damage everywhere else, I'm glad I did. It surely would have done a number on me had something touched down.

10:27 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

outside storm watching reminds me of when i lived in Auburn during Hurricane Opal '95 and we ran around the apt complex in the wind and rain and tried out our balance, or lack therof, on the third floor top breezeway. what a thrill!

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home