Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Italian Travelogue Part 3: Cinque Terre/Lake Como


Sunday was the day we split up. My friend Brant was heading for Venice and Verona, while I was heading northwest to the coast at Cinque Terre. It was going to be about a three hour train ride from Florence.
I sat down in my seat and got my Ipod out of my backpack. I was trying to untangle the headphones when the man across from me leaned over and said: "Got yourself an Ipod?"
Amazing deduction, Captain Obvious, is what I thought. "Yes I do," is what I said.
Stupid tangled headphones. If they hadn't been tangled I could have been enjoying Over the Rhine (great Sunday morning traveling on a train music) instead of talking to C.O. here.
"Had nothing but trouble with mine," he said with disdain.
"Never had any trouble with mine," I replied, desperately untangling, my borderline antisocial disorder kicking in.
"Never worked. Always froze up. Trouble."
"I love mine," I said, probably a bit defensively, "Works great."
"Trouble."
The conversation continued in this fashion for several minutes. C.O. pointed out the various flaws, while I zealously defended my precious Ipod. Fortunately this man was traveling with family, and due to lack of seats his mother had had to sit a few rows up the train. I pointed this out to him.
"I don't mind switching seats so she can sit with you all. I'm traveling alone."
So tactfully I was able to move away from C.O. The train was pulling out of Florence and I sat back to listen to my music. And my Ipod froze up on me. Nothing had ever gone wrong with it until that very moment. C.O. had cursed it. I turned around to look at him. He was looking at me with a I told you so look. I hated him.
Anyway, it was on to Cinque Terre. Cinque Terre is a group of five fishing villages hugging the rugged coast of northwest Italy. Since I had been there last it had been turned into a national park. The coastline is so rugged here that a couple of the villages were up to very recently inaccessible by car. When the train was built they cut long tunnels through the mountains so a couple of the stations are underground. A hiking trail high above the sea connects the five villages. It is absolutely beautiful. I hope that any future honeymoon takes place here.
I only get to spend two days here. I lay on the beach in the morning, and hike the coastal trail in the afternoon. Somehow I am able to resurrect my Ipod so I can listen to music again. I also finish my book, All Quiet on the Western Front, which really isn't a beach book at all.
On Tuesday I hop a train and head north to Lake Como, another absolutely beautiful locale at the base of the Alps. I meet up with Brant there. We're staying in a little village called Veranna, which sits across the lake from Bellagio. Apparently George Clooney has a house there. They filmed the stupid stupid love scenes from Attack of the Clones there, too.
Other than hiking up a mountain to see a castle, no real physical activity takes place here. The second week in Italy was less sightseeing and more relaxation. There was also more adjective-defying food. Sadly, after two days it was time to head for Milan to catch a flight back to the States.
Again, quite possibly the best vacation ever. It is my goal to return once a year.
By the final count, I had taken six rolls of film. Brant, my history buff Itinerary-carrying friend had taken somewhere in the neighborhood of fifty. He had also spent several hundred dollars on souvenirs. I had spent approximately five. I can always buy more next time.

6 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

wow. that's a ton of film and stuff! what was his before/after trip bag count???

10:15 PM  
Blogger LB said...

I think Monterosso is quite possibly my favorite place on earth. Am I ever going to get to see pictures of it?? Maybe I'll carry a flashlight into the theater Thursday and hm and haw over them ;-)

11:13 PM  
Blogger CHADDDD said...

Same bag count. He shipped a bunch of stuff and alot of his clothes were expendable, making more room in the luggage.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.02
polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, ugg boots, nike air max, prada handbags, nike air max, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, cheap oakley sunglasses, replica watches, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, louboutin, longchamp, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, nike free, burberry, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet online

6:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

air force, nike huarache, north face, vanessa bruno, hermes, mulberry, timberland, michael kors, sac longchamp, coach outlet, nike roshe, sac guess, replica handbags, abercrombie and fitch, michael kors, hollister, nike roshe run, nike air max, oakley pas cher, new balance pas cher, coach purses, michael kors, nike blazer, lacoste pas cher, longchamp, lululemon, air jordan pas cher, michael kors, air max, converse pas cher, tn pas cher, louboutin pas cher, true religion jeans, north face, burberry, true religion jeans, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, longchamp pas cher, nike free, nike air max, ralph lauren uk, nike trainers, hollister pas cher, hogan, nike air max, nike free run uk, ray ban uk, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher

6:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, barbour, louis vuitton, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, bottes ugg, replica watches, wedding dresses, converse outlet, links of london, supra shoes, marc jacobs, moncler, doudoune canada goose, ugg pas cher, moncler, canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, moncler outlet, swarovski crystal, moncler, hollister, moncler, coach outlet, canada goose, swarovski, canada goose, ugg boots uk, montre pas cher, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, pandora charms, moncler, pandora jewelry, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, pandora jewelry, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, lancel, moncler, doke gabbana outlet, juicy couture outlet, karen millen, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, moncler, barbour jackets, toms shoes
ninest123 16.02

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home